Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? February 24, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture Books to YA edition, is a meme created by Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers.  Every Monday book lovers share their own #IMWAYR posts.  So here I are the books I've read, listened to and loved this week.


Loved Books of the Past Week
These are the books I loved from last weeks pile and will be placing 
on the desks of children and colleagues alike this week.

The Bear's Song
by Benjamin Chaud

A cute story by French author and illustrator Benjamin Chaud.  The story of Papa Bear as he searches through forest, city and theatre to find Baby Bear.  Chaud's word choice is interesting and definitely something I would point out if I were reading it to a class.  What really draws me to this book though are the illustrations.  The drawings are so intricate and detailed that you could look at them for hours and find new little vignettes each time you look, much like a Where's Waldo book.  I would recommend this book from students in grade 1 to 4, with the older students really focusing on the juicy words Chaud uses.


The Man with the Violin
by Kathy Stinson, illustrated by Dusan Petricic
This book appeared just as we are starting a study in class about music and creativity, so I was thrilled that it was one of my reads this week.  I am always happy to discover a new Canadian picture book and The Man with the Violin is a delight.  It is the true story of a famous violinist playing in the subway told through the eyes of a child.  I love how Stinson weaves in the true story, but uses a fictional character as the focus.  Petricic, whose illustrations I am always a fan of, explores how music and noise can affect us through his use of colour.  The story begins with realistic situation, a child wanting to stop for a moment and enjoy the music, while his mother pulls him along, headed to where ever they are going.  I can't wait to share this with my class and with my music teacher.

The Invisible Boy
By Trudy Ludwig, illustrated by Patrice Barton
Trudy Ludwig's story of a boy who doesn't quite fit in and doesn't quite feel noticed is both heartbreaking and hopeful.  Many children and adults can relate to Brian, who is always picked last and rarely invited to play.  Patrice Barton helps to express his feelings of invisibility through her drawing of Brian as just barely seen in each picture.  Things begin to change however when a new student arrives and takes notice of Brian.  This is a great book to use when discussing inclusion and how small acts of kindness can change someones day.  A great book for students from grade 1 to 3, it also includes discussion points and questions that can be used after reading the book. 


What I'm Listening to on My Commute
I have a 20-30 minute car ride to work and often pass the time with a good book.

Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)
by Marissa Meyer
I am excited to finally read listen to the newest installment in The Lunar Chronicles series.

What's on My Bedside Table This Week:
This is the book or books I'm looking forward to reading this week.

When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson
by Pam Munoz Ryan, illustrated by Brian Selznick


Herman and Rosie
By Gus Gordon


 Well that's it for this week!
Let me know if you've read any of my #IMWAYR books from this week or having any suggestions of what I should read next.  Have a great week and happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. What fantastic picture books this week. The Man with the Violin was one of my favorite picture books last year. Such a powerful story. And Herman and Rosie just makes you feel good. I adore that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Ms Naim, I owned a Selznick and Ryan collaboration "Amelia and Eleanor go for a ride" - When Marian Sang looks absolutely gorgeous, will have to look out for that one. I still haven't found The Man with the Violin and I am definitely intrigued. Will be on the lookout for Herman and Rosie as well. You shared so many great books this week! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete